Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Reality Check

I'm pretty sure that I was living in a fantasy world. I thought that everyone had as good a life as i did. I didn't even realize how Fantastic my life really is and how everyone wish for that perfect family and I somehow got that.
Today I was handed a Reality Check.

I realized that I have friends who don't have both parents living with them or they don't have a dad or a mom. But the only reason that I realized this is because I went to my friend Samm's house for Glee night. I walked in like I usually do without knocking(because her mom told me that that is the way it was done) and I set my cake on the counter and MeeMa was sitting on the couch. I looked at her and she said to me,

"Can I help you?"

I replied "Hi. I'm here for Glee night."

She then said "What's your name?"

"Ashtyn." I was now getting a little worried.

"Are you here to see Samm?" she asked.

"Yes." I choked back a tear because it was then that I realized that she really didn't remember me. Honest to goodness could not remember.

She then called for Samm and she asked her who I was and if it was alright that I had walked into the house without knocking.

Samm later explained that sometimes her mom forgets things. Lots of things.

I knew that MeeMa had MS, but I didn't realize how bad MS is.

My mom has/had(I'm not sure which one) MS but it has never been like that at all. Yes my mom is a little scatter brained but what mom isn't? I NEVER thought in a million years that it was like that. I didn't know, or maybe I didn't want to know, how much goes on outside of my little world. Does that make me a bad person? I sure hope not.

But I have now set a goal and that is to appreciate everything that I have and help those who need it. Like my friend Samm. All she needed tonight was a good friend who would listen and I was there for her. I strive to be that person that people know they can lean on. I hope that you all know how much I love and appreciate all that you do!

Cherish all those around you and you will always have someone that will Cherish you.

Bow Baby

3 comments:

Amy said...

Ughh. It can be so so horrible! I'm so sorry. And I think happiness is good - even if it is in a bubble. As long as you are capable of getting out when someone needs you (which you clearly are).

Jessica said...

Wow. That makes my heart drop! I live in my own world too... It's crazy to think how many different "worlds" everyone lives in. You are a good, loving friend. :]

wjmom said...

I love you, Babe! You are a good girl.