Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Christmas Of Service

For Christmas this year we went to California to visit my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. On Christmas morning we had planed on sleeping in and then doing presents after we did other things. But that didn't happen because all the little kids were up and opening their presents and we couldn't sleep with all the noise they were making so we got up and opened presents. After we played for a little bit we all got ready and went to the old folks home where grandpa gives a lesson every Sunday. All the grand kids sang for them and then we talked to them and passed out treats. One woman took me by the hand and said, "Don't you stop singing. You have a great voice and you should share it. I am so glad that you shared it with me." She was very kind and it was a sweet experience. We all had a lot of fun. After that we went to a kind of homeless shelter. They were passing out sleeping bags and food and gloves and hats and clothes and all kinds of things to the homeless. We went to volunteer and when we got there they had so many volunteers that they did have anything for us to do. So we sang them a few songs and talked to some of them. One man came in, we were all standing by the door....
Let me back up a little bit. All of the stuff that was there had been donated by people who wanted to help the homeless. We donated candy the day before. But we couldn't find the M&M's the day before so we brought them with us when we went on Christmas.
Okay now back to us standing by the door.
A man walked in and my dad said "You can go through the line and some food and a sleeping bag." and the man said "I already got my stuff I just heard that they had M&M's now and I wanted to come get some."
At the time I thought it was really funny. But the more I think about it the more I think it's sad. Because what we have in our house constantly and only costs us 75 cents, which to us is nothing but to these people is a lot of money, they are what made this man's Christmas. A little bag of M&M's. Can you even imagine?
The mas who owns the building gave us a tour of one of the other buildings he owns that he uses to help the homeless women get jobs. And he kept saying something that I won't forget.
"when Christ comes again, he won't to the rich. He will come here where he can do the most good. And that's why we should be here. Because don't you want to meet the savior when he comes?"
This man is Muslim and he owns his own company(that has nothing to do with the homeless) and he has put and continues to put in tons of his money into helping these people. He is an incredible man and I am better by meeting him.
This experience just got me to thinking.Where will I be when that Savior comes? Will I be out helping those who are in need. Will i be working along side Him or will I be sitting in front of my computer on facebook?
Just something for you to think about.
So I ask you.... Where will you be when He comes?

No comments: